Sunday, December 21, 2014

Thoughts on Beef and Carrot Stew

David has been asking my mom for the recipe for beef and carrot stew for years. I ate it, I remember exactly what it tastes like. It is not like any beef and carrot stew I see a recipe for right now. There was no brown floured gravy. I am calling my mom right now. She probably will say something hilarious about why she cannot recall the recipe.

"There is no recipe. I just do it like that."

1-2 pounds beef stew meat
1 bag of carrots
bay leaf
salt and pepper
oil

Preheat oven to 350-375.

Cut up a pound or a pound and a half of stew meat. Brown meat in oil. Transfer the meat to a 9 by 13 inch glass pan (I think it has to be glass--something special happens to the carrots because of the glass). (Yeah, she made everything in a 9-13 pan). Add salt and pepper, some water (a scant cup?), and a lot of sliced carrots. Add a bay leaf. She doesn't think there is a boullion cube, so don't put one in unless, she says, David seems to think something is missing. But I don't think there is one myself.

Cover the pan tightly with foil. My best guess is let it all stew for 25 minutes, open the foil, stir, and let it stew another 20-25 minutes without the foil. This probably is highly experimental and anthropologists will like hearing about it when you manage to recreate it. *I* think. :-)

She is now complaining about the Carrie Underwood Live Sound of Music. "I thought why could someone be do something like that? It is a masterpiece of all time. Nothing could replace that movie. That's stupid. Don't you think it's stupid? How could people be so stupid. Anyway."


No comments:

Post a Comment