Sunday, December 21, 2014

Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bars

Back when I was little, we would travel to Connecticut to hang out with my father's old friend and his family. Their kids were like my cousins. We would play for hours and days and do things like watch movies in front of my mom that made me want to die because people were in bed together in them (and I was 12). Auntie Heather gave me this recipe. She would make so so many pies and cakes before we got there, probably because she had three teenagers and my mom was bringing two big sons and me. I made these for years and I think Dave likes them a lot. I guess they aren't diet. Just try not to make them often, they're kind of a hostile act. They also aren't from scratch, so you can have the satisfaction of not working too frickin' hard.

2 tubes Pillsbury Chocolate Chip Cookie mix
2 packages cream cheese (the "regular" size)
2 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 t vanilla

Grease a 9 by 13 inch pan. Heat oven to 350.

Roll out one tube of the dough and fit it in the bottom of the pan. I often ended up just whacking on the dough with a floured hand and patching it all together. You are probably better with a rolling pin.

Put it in the preheated oven for 3-5 minutes so the bottom layer gets a head start. (I vaguely remember this part...I think a couple of times the bottom layer didn't cook as much as the top and it got weird, so I started doing this...25 years ago...foggy recollections).

Combine rest of ingredients until v. smooth  (cheese and sugar first, then eggs, and then the vanilla).

Take out the pan and carefully spoon the filling on top so it doesn't mess up the hot dough. Patchwork the second tube of dough onto the top and bake this puppy for 15-20 minutes or until the top looks nice and brown. Let cool, cut into bars, stand back.


No comments:

Post a Comment