Saturday, September 11, 2010

Cauliflower Rice

In Louisville, there's a Middle Eastern restaurant called The Grape Leaf. I've eaten there off and on since about 1993. I've basically been playing around with many lentil rice pilaf recipes since I ate their cauliflower rice which is pretty divine and needs nothing besides some feta cheese. Then I remembered that the local paper, the Courier-Journal, often will hound a restaurant chef for the recipe of a dish that's very popular. I once even saw in that column the recipe for Baptist Hospital East's Meatloaf: soon after, I was standing in line in that very cafeteria and the person in front of me turned around and said, "Is the meatloaf good?" and I said, "The recipe was in the Courier."

Anyway. It just occurred to me tonight: look up "cauliflower rice courier-journal." Well I'll be.

The Grape Leaf's Cauliflower Rice

2 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, peeled and diced
Pinch saffron
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1 cup cauliflower florets, separated
1 cup basmati rice
3 cups water
1/4 cup almonds
1/4 cup raisins

In a pot, heat the oil until shimmery, and add the onion. Cook until onion softens, about 5 minutes. Add the saffron, turmeric, cauliflower and rice. Stir to coat well. Add the water, bring to a boil, partially cover and simmer until rice is done and cauliflower is tender, 17 to 20 minutes. Check at 10 minutes or so, and add more water if too dry. Garnish with the almonds and raisins. Serves 4.

***

I predict: few raisins and feta to boot. Make sure you use basmati rice or this will be kind of a bust.

No comments:

Post a Comment