Monday, January 10, 2022

Gluten Free French Crepe Recipe

Makes 6-8 crepes about 9 inches in diameter. The original recipe is double this amount below.

So, I just tried out this recipe here making some substitutions. I also left out the sugar and the crepe batter cooked up with a good solid structure.

1 C Bob's Red Mill Baking Flour 1 to 1 (in the blue bag)*. 

2 eggs

2 cups of whole milk

1/4 C melted butter

pinch of salt


I grew up eating crepes for Shrove Tuesday aka Fat Tuesday. We mostly ate them with jam and white sugar and could eat quite a few per person. My friend Geneve insisted that the "real" way to eat them was with sugar and lemon juice. But I've not made savory ones in a long time, and it seemed like something my mom could eat though she doesn't have that many teeth anymore.

Put the flour in a bowl, whisk in the salt. Make a well in the flour and add the two eggs. Whisk the eggs in the middle, and slowly add the milk while you keep whisking the eggs. Slowly incorporate the flour from the sides of the bowl until you have a really smooth mixture. Slowly stream in the melted butter. 

The recipe says to allow it to stand for 30-60 minutes until bubbles form. This is standard with all crepe batter, but I'm not gonna lie, my mother was hungry and we're on a kind of a serious routine, so I just made three to see, and they came out fine. We ate them for dinner with some Gruyere/Swiss cheese melted and mushrooms sauteed in olive oil and a little pat of butter inside. Miam.

Enjoy!

*Note: I've tried to use other gluten free flours for crepes and they are pretty close to rice pancakes from Asian cuisine, but with an even more delicate structure (read: fell apart in multiple places) so I'm happy this one worked so well.

No comments:

Post a Comment